I Is for Inquiry
An Illustrated ABC of Inquiry-Based Instruction for Elementary Teachers and Schools
Bruce Shore, Mark W Aulls, Diana Tabatabai, Juss Kaur Magon
I Is for Inquiry takes a unique approach to helping teachers in the elementary grades create lessons and sustain inquiry in their classrooms. This colorful, illustrated alphabet book explores 26 (including X and Z) key ideas and skills in inquiry-based teaching and learning, such as collaboration, dialogue, evidence, hypothesis, and scaffolding. Each short chapter:
- Summarizes one inquiry element that can be built into students' experiences.
- Uses straightforward language and examples.
- Includes a classroom vignette and suggestions for using the concept.
- Shares selected references and related Internet-based resources.
- Helps teachers build self-confidence about teaching through inquiry.
This book will serve as a familiar and fun resource for busy teachers at any point in their careers. Using the inquiry vocabulary and repertoire of concepts, teachers can build curriculum and share ideas with colleagues, making inquiry in the classroom as approachable as ABC!